Sunday 24 January 2010

Why keep a Quaternary Science Blog?

I feel that science outreach is very important. Tax payers pay for all these expeditions to polar regions, and they have a right to know what we do with their money. It also strikes me that it is difficult for non-academics and students to access and understand the latest peer-reviewed publications regarding ice sheets, climate change, global warming and sea level rise. These subjects have been constantly in the news for the last few months, and I felt that it was important to communicate my science directly with the people.

My golden aim is to communicate science better to the masses. I'll start with a few issues that are particularly important, attempting to summarise sea level rise and a few other key problems. I might translate a few of my publications here for the general public. And thereafter I will talk about papers or conference presentations that are particularly interesting.

Another blog which is worth a look is Chris Vernon .

When on fieldwork in Antarctica I plan to keep a blog so people can see what Antarctic research really involves.

I also think that writing this blog encourages me to think deeply about important issues and to consolidate my thoughts.

I hope you enjoy these articles and look forward to responding to any comments!

Best wishes,

Bethan

No comments:

Post a Comment